Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Do you take library cards?

So, we knew we had a plumbing problem when we moved in. Although it wasn't really a problem so much as just a faulty valve we knew had to be replaced if we wanted better water pressure. After we replaced the shower head in our bathroom, the pressure was what we deemed "livable." So we decided not to do anything about it.

Until Friday night when I was doing dishes. Chris needed to wash his hands and turned on the sink in the half bath. The water pressure for both of us was SO BAD that we had to take turns. So, we called the plumber on Monday. He's in the house as I write this.

He checked the water pressure at the street connection and in the house...twice for both. And got WILDLY different readings each time.

After a "full house complimentary check up" he diagnosed that our faulty valve isn't faulty. It's broken all together. It's allowing our water pressure to fluctuate between "fire hose" and "drip hose" which can lead to disaster in showers (sending shower head hurling through the air...or so my imagination believes!), washing machines and dishwashers. He didn't really say they could kill us, but they can really cause HUGE problems for appliances that use water not to mention any potentially loose plumbing connections.

So, the plumber is replacing the valve. And I have been collecting all of the "welcome to the neighborhood" coupons from places like Home Depot, Pottery Barn, American Furniture Warehouse and Bed Bath & Beyond. You should have seen the look on his face when I asked if he accepted the 20% of at Bed Bath & Beyond coupon as a form of payment! He thought I was serious! I can't stop giggling! Maybe I'll try and pay him with a library card when he's finished!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that humor is still alive and well in your household. If this is as bad as it gets in your new house, we will all celebrate!

    Really loved the post re using "books-to-read" as the R holder. Great idea.

    I am thinking of making a "commitment with merit" myself. You blogger girls (I follow all of the "river-girls blogs daily) inspire me.

    Enjoy your first "Labor Day" celebration in your HOME!

    ReplyDelete