Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oopsie Daisy

It's a phrase we all know. It reminds me of the oopsie doll I had as a kid...when you'd squeezed her she'd say "oopsie" and her pigtails would move up and down. It was cute. But not nearly as cute as my best friend's two and a half year old daughter, Lydia.

I spent the weekend in Cleveland for a quick trip to see Angie and Mike and their three kids under the age of three. I loved every minute of it. Sure, Luke my have a few quirks that make him a little different from other toddlers, and Lydia is probably a little too smart for her own good. Then there's Eloise...the nearly perfect 11-month old baby. She hardly made a peep!

On Friday night, Mike was on his way home from work and Angie had run out to pick up some dinner for the munchkins and left me home alone with the kids. To say the inmates ran the asylum would be an understatement. We got the cars out to play with and Luke would share the "purple one" with Lydia. Then all of a sudden, he decided not to share. Lydia, with her super-cute curls, big blueish-green eyes and a smile that can light up a room quietly walked over to Luke, took her arm and swiped all his cars off the table onto the floor.

She turned around to see if I had witnessed her act of cruelty and with a shrug and a smile said "oopsie daisy." I was in shock. It was mean-spirited, not to mention against the rules. But it was really funny!! I knew I shouldn't laugh, but I couldn't help it. I laughed so hard I was crying which confused the kids and prompted them to join forces in a game of "climb on Auntie Jenna and giggle with her" until Angie came home and asked what on earth we were doing.

It was a priceless moment. And even though I should have gotten after Lydia for having done that, I am sure she'll do it again and her Mom will catch her and do the right thing. I wish I had a picture to share with you. They are a beautiful family and have so much fun together. I can't wait to plan my next trip back!

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I can see the entire picture, right down to you crying. Glad you had fun during your visit. You are correct, Lydia WILL do it again, and Angie WILL catch and discipline her, that is her job, your's to be the fun Auntie!

    Thanks for sharing this cute story, made my day.

    ReplyDelete