Thursday, September 9, 2010

Facebook

It's a love-hate relationship. I contemplate ditching my account from time to time. I don't really care who "likes" one political party or another. I find it annoying when people "answer questions about me" and invite me to attend "events" just so that they can have lots of people invited.

But at the same time, Facebook has become a place for me to reconnect with family members that I never knew, or didn't know well. It's fun to learn more about their lives and establish a new kind of relationship.

Here's an example:
Tara Brown Kirkland. She's my cousin's daughter. She's my Uncle Don's granddaughter. I don't know Uncle Don well (or at all really) and I only know 2 of his 5 children at all. Tara belongs to one of the 3 I don't know. But we're friends on facebook. Tuesday night I got an email from her saying that she's in Denver and would love to meet for dinner if I have time.

Last night we met at the Cheesecake Factory and had a wonderful dinner. Just the two of us. It was a delightful visit and I really enjoyed her company. Outside of a little DNA, we found that we have quite a bit in common. She comes to Denver quarterly for work. Next time I am cooking.

I value my extended family tremendously. I have found that even just a little DNA in common puts one more person in my corner. One more person to share a laugh with, one more person to plan a party with, and one more city to visit.

So, Facebook isn't so bad after all. Now, please excuse me while I go update my status to read, "Today is my Friday. I'll toast all you harder workers tonight."

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you and Tara finally got to meet. I have only seen her twice and I remember her as a cute little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts EXACTLY!! Facebook is just "one more thing" I feel like I have to do. Just when I think I'm done...some person from my past shows up to say "Hi". You're not the only one. (Tell Doug & Penny we said hello!)

    ReplyDelete