Monday, November 1, 2010

The Art of Yogurt

Almost every morning I have Greek yogurt for breakfast. High in protein and low in fat, it's a pretty good breakfast. My only problem is that the flavored ones are too sweet and the plain too, well, plain. I typically add a little Kashi Go Lean Crunch to the creamy goodness just for a little crunch.

Adding the cereal certainly helps the texture, but does nothing for the sweetness (or lack of, depending on the choice of the day). Yesterday I stumbled across what I thought was a pretty good compromise. Pomegranates. Not the juice, but the actual seeds from the fruit!

King Soopers (the Kroger corporation calls it that out here) had whole pomegranates on sale for $1 each. I thought I'd give it a whirl! While messy to get the seeds out, there were a little more tart than I really wanted to eat naked so I tossed them in the vanilla yogurt with the granola. It was absolute perfection! And the best news: that pomegranate will last me all week (unless the fruit goes bad first). But so far, so good! Not to mention, it's a superfood!

I put the Wikipedia link there in case you are curious about the pomegranate's superfood capabilities, and holy catfish is that a lot of information! But good to know I guess. I dare you to give the pomegranate a whirl. My only tidbit of advice: when you cut it in half, do so across the fruit, not from top to bottom...that will make it MUCH easier to extract the seeds!

2 comments:

  1. http://aliceqfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/09/killer-granola.html

    The link above will send you to a blog with a Killer Granola recipe that is GREAT on your moning yogurt...beware of addiction. Just the right crunch and sweetness.

    Also, a bit of local honey adds a touch of sweetness to plain yogurt while also reducing allergy symptoms when used daily (think mini allergy shot.)

    I really like pomegraanite seeds in salads or yogurt but I go for the ready to serve seeds available at many stores...less messy:)

    Again, a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I have greek yogurt for breakfast as well. Chobani has one that comes with pomegranite seeds already - I don't think it's too sweet.

    I'm going to go to Sue's link now...sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete