Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Admission of Guilt

Ok, I have to fess up. I have been working from home since March of 2005. In the beginning, I would get up in the morning, put my work clothes on (picture business casual from my home office) and hit the ground running. That lasted for a week or so until I figured out that it didn't really matter.

Then I went through the phase of early morning workouts and running in the door just as the clock strikes 8:00 am. On those days, I would work in my gym clothes until I found a point in my work where I could be absent for 30 minutes with no harm. That phase still comes and goes, but more often times than not, I end up sitting in stinky gym clothes until the end of the day!

Most of the time, I roll out of bed at 7:30, brush my teeth and stumble down stairs to get my first cup of coffee and am checking email by 7:45. For the first time in many many moons, I actually have a job that matters and is busy every day. Because I start in my PJ's, I am finding that I am ending the day...still in my PJ's. It's not pretty. Imagine hello kitty flannel pants and a matching long-sleeved red shirt with hello kitty buttons on it. Cute right? Now imagine the jammies being 6 years old. So. Not. Pretty.

This week I had an 8:00 meeting for Junior Achievement which required not just real clothes, but a shower and makeup too. I found that I actually liked ending my day clean and in real clothes. So I did it again today. And it's nice. I think I will do this more often! It makes me feel smarter or something!

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have choices??? I would have worked forever had I been able to work from home, PJ's, shower or not.

    I do remember the days I did work from home (I had a great boss for 3 years who allowed me to work from home 1 day a week) and I would start in my PJ's at about 7am. I would promise myself that on my first run upstairs for a coffee refill I would shower/change. That change, along with the coffee refill and breakfast/lunch was usually about 1:30pm, hardly seemed worth the effort.

    Actually, I can picture Hello Kitty PJ's and the thought of those 6 year old things made me laugh, really hard! Thanks for that.

    Wonderful that you are involved in JA, way to go, you are a natural for that organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought...OR you could upgrade the jammies and be comfy all day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when I would decide to stay in my jammies all day, grandma would have an issue. Guess I will continue to take showers...I'd hate to sit in the ER with yucky hair and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been working from home since 2001. At first, I too, stayed in "comfy" clothes. But, after a year or so I realized I actually got more accomplished when I got dressed first thing in the morning. (That doesn't mean I don't have an occasional "comfy" day, but most of the time I at least look like I'm at work!)

    ReplyDelete