Monday, February 28, 2011

Making progress

I wish there were an actual recipe for progress.

Training for a half marathon was a great idea before I knew I would be traveling twice in March (although those are quick trips) and twice in April, which are longer trips. One is almost a whole week.

I have played with the training spreadsheet and rearranged some of the workouts so that I still get all the right ones each week, but maybe not in the same order...and no back-to-back rest days. I know it will be fine. I have to keep reminding myself that taking on 13.1 miles at a point in my life where I couldn't even run 2 miles is pretty remarkable. And I am not doing this just for me. This is the reminder I need that the goal is to finish. And if I love it, I can do the next one for speed.

That all being said, two weeks ago I ran 4 miles in 52 minutes. On Saturday I ran with Lisa and got in 4 miles in 49 minutes. That's progress. Great progress. And while each run is a mile farther than the last long run, none is more difficult than the one before it. That means that I am getting stronger. I actually feel like it might be possible.

I will be in MP on April 20. On Thursday the 21st I am scheduled to run 4.5 miles, but will make it a nice even 5 if it makes sense. So, a 2.5 mile out and back. Any suggestions on the route?

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were looking at ten miles on April 21st. Okay, I will figure out something around here. Maybe a run to Moxes down Hiawatha and around to Broomfield. It's some up hill but when you run up you get to run down! One dollar gets you into the track at the rec center at the end of High St. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really vote for Moxes. I HAVE to see you while you are here. Mike may be able to run back to your folks with you and I'll pick up the ole guy there, scoring a cup of coffee if I am lucky!

    We applaude you! You WILL achieve, and if not we will still applaude your efforts.

    ReplyDelete