Wednesday, October 19, 2011

That was NOT in the books

I am going to start noting these things because I am pretty sure nobody has written THIS book yet.  Seriously.  I have read five different pregnancy books, and so far, none of them are telling me what I want to know.

Now, I know that I am no exception to the rule. I am not special, out of the ordinary, super-extraordinary, or an anomaly in any way, shape or form.  But there are things that nobody tells you about until you complain about them and think there's something wrong with you.

While there have been other lessons throughout the 14 week journey, this is the first one that has really bugged me.  Since Sunday, I have been fighting with my allergies and sinuses. My doctor provided me with the list of "approved" pregnancy medications to help combat my symptoms.  And for those of you who know me well, you know that I am not much of a pill popper.  I avoid pills until I just can't stand it anymore.  But Sunday was rough.  I took a couple Tylenol before bed in hopes that it would take the edge off and let me sleep.  And that worked. 

Monday started the sinus headache.  And a doozie of a headache at that.  Waiting to take the Tylenol until I couldn't stand it, I opted for the Walgreen's brand of Tylenol Sinus Nighttime just before bed.  That was a load of malarkey.  Yesterday I woke up with a headache that had progressed from "doozie" to "whopper."  Holy cow.  But I also had a doctor appointment and a ton of stuff to get done.  So, I see my OB (sidebar--baby boy Rowland is perfect, growing like a weed and a heartbeat of 152 bpm!!) and she tells me that I likely have a sinus infection and should see my family doctor.

Last night I took the "approved" Benadryl hoping for just a little sleep and maybe for the headache to ease up a little.  No dice. Not only did I not sleep, but ever time I rolled over, if any part of my head and/or face touched a cold spot on my pillow, I wanted to cry.  No sleep for this momma to be.

So, today I called my primary care physician.  After totally messing up my appointment time (my fault, not his), he tells me that what I have is likely viral and not bacterial and because I am pregnant I can't really do anything about it.  His advice was to get lots of rest.  The pregnancy hormones took over, I began to cry and was a little (okay, a lot) frustrated and blurted out, "how am I supposed to get any rest when this stupid headache is keeping me awake and you are telling me there's nothing I can do about it."  (I didn't say the next part but really wanted to) Stupid, stupid man.

His chuckle was almost audible.  He handed me a tissue, let me calm down a little, and said, "well, clearly you have lost a little more sleep than you look like you have.  Stop at the pharmacy and pick up a new Neti Pot, a box of tissues, a heating pad and some Tylenol PM.  If nothing else, we will ease the pain a little and let you get some much needed rest."  Now we're talking.  He continued to explain to me that because of the increased progesterone in my system, if my body wants to make a little mucus, it will actually make a lot.  And because of the extra blood in my body, if I am supposed to have a little headache, it'll be a big one.  Seriously?  That's not in any of the books I read. 

I did as told (although I already have the heating pad) and returned home.  Five minutes with a heating pad on my face followed by a rinse with the Neti Pot and I am feeling a little better already.  Maybe he wasn't stupid. Maybe he just needed a little lesson in the tendency for pregnant women to be somewhat irrational and capable of emotional collapse at any given moment, and for no apparent reason.  Sorry about that, doc.

Just a few minutes ago, I was talking with a good friend of mine who also happens to be a coworker.  I told her the story about the headache, the doctor, the reaction and the cure.  Her response to me was this: "Sweetie, I could have told you all of that and saved you the $25 copay."  Seriously.  Always after the fact. From now on, maybe I should just start asking around before I call a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment