Thursday, March 14, 2013

Trying...

Let's think about this for a minute.  
"It is common sense to take a method and try it.  If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."  Franklin D. Roosevelt.
"I have learned that the success is to be measured  not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he as had to overcome while trying to succeed."  Booker T. Washington
I think sometimes we use inspirational quotes like these to make us feel better when we have not had the success we were so determined to achieve.  For some, Franklin Roosevelt and Booker T. Washington will inspire you to try again...maybe the same thing in a new way, maybe something new altogether.  There are others who will hear these words and think, "Oh well.  I tried." and walk away.  I am a member of the first group.

I will not give up.  I am braver than I believe, stronger than I seem and smarter than I think.  I have never regretted trying. Because when I try and fail, I do not give up.  But I already said that.  So, to the pile of brainy thoughts for the day, I give you this:
"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?" Vincent van Gogh
If you'll remember, I had a pretty lofty goal of running 1,000 miles in 2013.  Well, I am almost certain that there's no way for me to meet that goal.  Here I am on March 14 telling you this. But I am not admitting defeat or failure.  I am telling you that, while I may not reach the 1,000 mile mark, I will complete 2 or 3 half-marathons, a 10-k race, a 10-miler, and probably a few 5k races too.  So rather than saying I failed, I am choosing to look at the bigger picture.  I am 100% on track for my other two goals (taking better care of myself and being a better friend).  And I will complete all the races.  But I may not get all my training runs in. And that's OK. Because taking better care of myself also means taking care of my family.  And their needs (ok, Bryan's needs!) must come before my running.

I  my weakest running moments (and it seems there have been many lately) I have spiced up my mantra a bit.  In addition to my mantra of braver-stronger-smarter, I have added "Do or do not. There is no try."  Thanks, Yoda!

No comments:

Post a Comment